Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Brookwood Community

I promised a separate post about the Brookwood Community.
http://www.brookwoodcommunity.org/

Last Friday my mom, Grandlin and I all road tripped it over to Brookshire, Texas to eat lunch and do some shopping at the Brookwood Community. This place is one of the most amazing facilities I have ever been to and should be a model. It is an educational/residential home for disabled adults. They have a cafe, gift shop and greenhouse that is run by the teachers and students. I went there often with I was in college to take tours and help out in the greenhouses.

It was the best food I've had in a long time...everything was homemade and down right DE-LICIOUS!!! The shopping was fantastic and wished they had a store in Austin that I could go to - the items there were half market purchases and half things made by the residents.

I'm not kidding when I say they have one of the finest greenhouse facilities and the plants they had for sale were phenomenal. 10,000 times better than anything I could get at Lowe's or Home Depot. I'm a plant freak so that just made my day. I would drive the 2 hours from my house to eat, shop and by plants there. The staff is happy to be there and they have students work in the cafe and shop too!

Check it out: http://www.brookwoodcommunity.org/

No comments: